AN OUTCAST'S QUEST FOR TRUE BELONGING

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation
Old things have passed away
Behold, all things have become new"
2 Corinthians 5:17



Sunday, August 2, 2009

Spaghetti Joe

Don't you just love the name? It actually is the roadname of a biker who used to read children's books to me when I was a little girl. What is a roadname? It is a nickname given to a biker. It is a name he inherits, usually from one of his club brothers. His roadname, if it sticks, is embroidered onto a patch, which he proudly wears on his cut (vest). I'm thinking Spaghetti Joe was Italian.

One of my earliest memories in life is of a night, complete with fear, family, security, and confusion. This vivid memory is one of a collection of memories which planted internal lies, identifying who I thought I was over the next thirty-something years. Picture two little girls, all of about four and five years of age, sitting in a car, right smack in the middle of a biker brawl. Well, it was much more than a biker brawl. It was an all out war.

My sister and I were seated in the back seat of my mother’s car, while a family friend read a story to us. Mom was a wild flower child and drove a baby blue Comet. She was a bit eccentric and pasted large Daisy decals all over the outside of the car. The storyteller was a very dear family friend who reeked of greasy Levi’s, mixed with the earthy scent of his black leather vest. His hair was long and his face, unshaven. The other men from his motorcycle gang called him Spaghetti Joe. I used to giggle at the mention of his name, no matter how often I heard it. I just loved saying it.

His eyes were friendly and his voice low and raspy as he nervously and quickly read through the pages. I recall him distracting Jami and I from peering out the car window at what was going on all around us. It was dark, and we were parked in front of King’s Drive-In. I remember King’s being a popular spot on the strip through downtown San Jose. There were always dozens of motorcycles and loud, fast cars parked in front of the place. We usually stayed in the car with one of Mom’s friends while she was inside grabbing burgers for us, or hanging out with the club.

This night was very different from the others though. We were afraid, as we were told not to pay attention to what was going on outside. Telling a child not to pay attention to something just made us all the more curious to press our faces against the windows. It was fun to fog up the window with the warmth of our breath and the cold of the air. I suppose it was good the windows were fogged.

I heard men yelling and cursing. One man fell onto the back of our car. Spaghetti Joe continued to read to us with more urgency in his voice. I put my arm around Jami and moved in closer to Spaghetti Joe. The car was shaking from the fighting taking place all around us. They were swinging large steel chains and beating each other. At one point, I heard several cars honking their horns on the main drag, then tires screaching. One of the men had thrown someone from the other club out into the traffic!

6 comments:

  1. Spaghetti Joe & I were friends in the '60s. I met him in 1964, before he got the nickname Spaghetti, when we were both into racing cars. The nickname Spaghetti was give to him by another friend of ours named Rodger, because Joe really liked spaghetti, & ate it a lot. I used to eat dinner once in a while at his house in the late '60s when he lived on Sth. 10th. St. You can probably guess what we usually had.
    Contrary to what you might think from from his nickname, Joe wasn't Italian; he was from Puerto Rico. Joe was a Gypsy Joker before he became a Hells Angel, and joined the HAs around the time of the war between the Jokers & Angels. A lot of the other Jokers I knew did the same thing, and some others moved to Oregon.
    Spaghetti Joe was a very friendly person, very generous, and if you needed help, he was always there for you.
    Before Joe & my other friends & I started hanging out at Kings, we all used to hang out at Skylark Drive In on Santa Clara St. about a block east of Johns Drive In. Skylark was located on the property where the Arena for Sharks hockey now sits. Johns & Skylark were closed somewhere around late 1964, and most of us moved over to Kings Drive In. Johns & Skylark were true Drive Ins, in that they had car hops that came to your car to take orders. Kings didn't have car hops, but you could get out of your car and walk around the lot if you wanted to. Johns was somewhat famous, because they had a live DJ on the weekends, and live bands sometimes. (Run a Google Search for Johns Drive In, San Jose to see the names of the bands, and other personalities who appeared there.)
    I had a lot of good friends in the '60s, and Spaghetti Joe was one of the best. Kings was closed sometime in 1969 and I lost track of a lot of the people I knew. The last time I saw Joe was about 1978 in a bar on Monterey Highway. I'd like to know if he's still alive, and how he's doing, if he is.

    Comment posted Oct. 14th., 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here I am reading your comment nearly two years later. I sure appreciate you sharing about our brother. He was so much more than that to me as a child. My mother lost track of Spaghetti Joe over the years. May God be with him wherever he is...and God bless you!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what drove me to look up spaghetti Joe but...but here is my memory of him and who I believe was his son...my first money was of tenth st. San Jose CA! I was a hustler from a very young age, my mom was a single mother so I did all I could do to help with money. I took up shoe shinning down town I didn't make much but what I did make I gave to my mom, during one summer day after the angles had a party...I pulled my wagon with my shoe shin kit in it down the street past Joe's house next to the store,well a member said hey kid nice wagon...and proceeded to sit in it well the tire all broke! I didn't know quite what to think, that when Joe told the member to to fix that f in wagon cause that his neighbor's wagon the member looked like he was shocked that her would make him fix my wagon but that what he made home do ten minutes later I had my wagon fixed better than new. The next summer I met his son who I believe was staying with him for the summer...I was walking past with some friends and the boy flat out said you want to be in my gang I said what gang he said lil angels..I remember a patch but not much else I hope you liked my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what drove me to look up spaghetti Joe but...but here is my memory of him and who I believe was his son...my first money was of tenth st. San Jose CA! I was a hustler from a very young age, my mom was a single mother so I did all I could do to help with money. I took up shoe shinning down town I didn't make much but what I did make I gave to my mom, during one summer day after the angles had a party...I pulled my wagon with my shoe shin kit in it down the street past Joe's house next to the store,well a member said hey kid nice wagon...and proceeded to sit in it well the tire all broke! I didn't know quite what to think, that when Joe told the member to to fix that f in wagon cause that his neighbor's wagon the member looked like he was shocked that her would make him fix my wagon but that what he made home do ten minutes later I had my wagon fixed better than new. The next summer I met his son who I believe was staying with him for the summer...I was walking past with some friends and the boy flat out said you want to be in my gang I said what gang he said lil angels..I remember a patch but not much else I hope you liked my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the Articles about Spaghetti Joe so fascinating. From what I have known of Him, He was originally from Puerto Rico and Had Lived in San Jose for a Long Period, My Last follow up with Him, He had become a truck Driver and gradually moved to LA. I received a call in late 2008 that he had passed away and the company was trying to locate any family. After going to La to find out what had happened, He had Heart issues and at some point had a Pace Maker put in, he was found collapse in his apartment, He is buried In Orange County sadly by the county's social services, so it took a little searching to find him. He is in a unmarked grave, which I had hope to purchase a cemetery stone for him, which I was unable to before moving from California. The last time I saw him, He has two children, one which he showed a picture of a young boy, but was married to someone else at the time. From the stories I heard of him, He was a Gypsy Joker Rider that gradually became a Hells Angel, I can only imagine the history he had with both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Father James Arthur Martin. Told me stories growing up about spaghetti Joe, One arm Willie,Big Lurch & AL Pazzarro along with Sony Barger. My father spoke about a rolling stones concert at the altamont and about a hells angel Stabbing someone that night.my father said that the names i mentioned all loved with my father after that day...my father was a Hells angel. I LOVE YOU POP R.i.P.

    ReplyDelete

Be My Brother

Biker Chef

Harley Davidson - Our Belief