AN OUTCAST'S QUEST FOR TRUE BELONGING

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation
Old things have passed away
Behold, all things have become new"
2 Corinthians 5:17



Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Holy Awesome Biker Suit!


The Dark Knight's Leathers


Leathers sure have come a long way! The suit itself is made from hi-tech components Batman himself would struggle to find. Strong Cordura Mesh Base with Heavy-duty 4 way stretch Spandex inserts, for example. There’s also removable CE-approved body armour on both the jacket and pants. All this combined with a highly detailed, removable lightweight interior lining, form-moulded leather and Kevlar armour sections, make for a suit that’s as tough as it is awesome. The only thing it doesn’t come with is Batman’s mask. I'd wear them!

Every biker takes great pride in their leathers. It really is the only thing between you and the hard surface you may come in contact with when you go down. When it came time to purchase my first set of leathers, I made sure they were high quality. We checked out the gear at the swap meets and at the Easyrider show. You can find a pair of chaps for $20, or you can invest in a $200 pair. The difference is in the thickness of the leather and the stitching, basically. Well, it's worth it in my opinion.

My father, an old school biker, used to call me a preppy wannabe biker. Whatever. I'd show him! My leathers were new. His were worn for years, and lived a long, hard life! You could practically see the miles and the number of times the rubber left the pavement in the wear and tear. I admire an old set of leathers. Especially a cut (vest) decorated with patches and pins. They don't just come that way! So, I had to get riding in order to have a story to tell with my leathers (and to gain a little respect from my dad).

Then there's the chaps. The biker babes are usually the only ones who go so far to decorate their chaps with beads and patches. Mine were fringed, and beaded in red and black. Those are the colors of the Vietnam Vets M/C Club, who still hold a very special place in my heart.

When I see someone on a motorcycle, wearing shorts and sandals, it sends shivers down my back. We've all seen it. I've never done it. It was always my practice to wear my leathers whenever on a bike, regardless of the weather. I guess because I've seen the damage even minor contact with the road can do to flesh and bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be My Brother

Biker Chef

Harley Davidson - Our Belief